New Engineering Apprentice Welcomed
A love of maths and problem solving led Josh to apply for our apprenticeship position which we have opened up to bring more talent into the industry and our business.
Josh McIvor is our recently appointed apprentice engineer who is joining us from high school on his journey to become an engineer.
Having just finished 6th year at St Maurice’s High School in Cumbernauld, Josh will be learning and earning on our apprenticeship programme.
The seventeen-year old will attend North Kelvin College beginning this semester, undertaking a two-year day release programme. The Building Services Engineering programme will allow Josh to work one-day a week with the remaining days spent on site and in the xburo offices working alongside engineering colleagues.
Josh, who aspires to be an engineer one day, said: “I’ve always had an interest in maths and problem solving and ultimately becoming an engineer. One of our teachers circulated an advert that had been sent into the school on Teams and I replied. I had to prepare an expression of interest on why I wanted to apply, complete an interview and then I was offered the position. For me, I like the practical work and combining earning and learning. It’s been a month and its completely different to school in a good way. Getting on site has been the most useful learning and putting everything into context. Looking to the future, I look forward to where this will take me but for now, it’s very much learning day by day.”
Josh joins Aedan Gilfedder who returned for the second year in a row to xburo to experience an engineering environment. Aedan spent the summer working with xburo in 2022 and wanted to continue his work experience as he has an interest the world of engineering and obtaining hands on experience. Aedan has expressed an interest in mechanical engineering since working here, particularly in regard to drawings and detailed design, which he has been to witness first hand.
Aedan said: “Coming back a year later to xburo has been a great opportunity to build on what I learned last year. I am still interested in a career in the industry particularly in the built environment and putting into practice what I’ve learned in school. I’m coming to the point now where I need to make decisions about what subjects to choose and what career I want and being able to experience working in an office and talking to the team about what they did to get to where they are, is helping me to decide what I want to do after school.”
xburo’s apprenticeship programme will open again in Summer 2024 to find the next apprentice.
- Directors speak to GCU and university studentsThomas Brady and Michael Gribben speak to Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) as former students about lessons learned and their recent success Alumnus of Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) Thomas Brady and Michael Gribben spoke to the university and its students about xburo and their early careers. The pair shared some insights into what it meant to… Continue reading Directors speak to GCU and university students
- Designs progress near Edinburgh’s A-listed historic Gogar CastleIn The News: Architects, Block Nine Architects, are to progress its technical designs for a new high-end contemporary two-storey dwelling near Edinburgh’s A-listed historic Gogar Castle.
- Scottish Building Standards to come into forceProposed changes to Building Standards: xburo briefing available The Scottish Government has published proposed changes to the Scottish Building Standards that will come into force on the 1st of April 2024. With heating and powering buildings currently accounting for 40% of the UK’s total energy usage – a figure that must be significantly reduced to… Continue reading Scottish Building Standards to come into force
- We are the Best Small UK ConsultancyXburo is named Best Small UK Consultancy at the Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE) xburo has won the Best Small UK Consultancy at the Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE). Winner of the Best UK Consultancy, xburo received the coveted accolade at an award ceremony held at the Leonardo Royal London Tower Bridge Hotel which… Continue reading We are the Best Small UK Consultancy
- Ocean Terminal regenerationApproval for Ocean Terminal regeneration project unanimous 2024 is off to a flying start with the approval of the regeneration of Ocean Terminal. This week, Edinburgh City Council gave unanimous approval of this major redevelopment of Ocean Terminal at Leith Waterfront. Plans are to develop a sustainable new neighbourhood on Leith’s waterfront with the provision of… Continue reading Ocean Terminal regeneration