“My focus is on the game and being sponsored allows me to do this,” says amateur golfer Megan Docherty
We caught up with Megan Docherty – our first amateur female golfer to be sponsored by xburo – as 2022 drew to a close as we look ahead to 2023.
And what a year the 19-year-old had in 2022. We signed Megan on a three-year sponsorship deal in Summer 2022 to represent xburo and to support her journey and her ambitions to turn professional in the coming years.
This is the first sports sponsorship for xburo as our rapid expansion has allowed us to support up-and-coming talent and to reach out to amateur sportspeople to allow them to pursue their dreams.
Megan, from Bishopbriggs, is working towards a degree in finance at the University of Chattanooga in Tennessee while juggling her golf schedule. She successfully landed a full academic scholarship allowing her to combine her love of golf with her studies for four years.
Now in the 2nd year of her studies, xburo’s financial support contributes towards lessons, equipment and travel expenses allowing Megan to focus on her game. She attributes the extra golf lessons to developing her game and recently, won first place in a putting competition at the university.
She said: “The support devised by George Boswell has helped me to home in on skills I need to develop.
I’m working on getting my scoring average down, particularly looking to make improvements in areas of my game where myself and the coaches have identified. xburo’s sponsorship directly contributes towards supporting my training. It means my focus is on the game and being sponsored allows me to do this.”
Megan’s aim is to get to regionals which she and her team do by winning conference and performing well in rankings over the year. Competition is something Megan deals with as she has travelled throughout the year. Earlier she competed internationally against amateur golfers from across Europe including Holland, Germany, Spain, Turkey, Italy, and Denmark in the OK Junior Open tournament, which was held in Toxandria in the Netherlands.
Flying the flag for xburo, Managing Director, Michael Gribben, is proud of Megan’s ambition and achievements as she encompasses the ethics at the heart of xburo’s commitment to excellence. He said: “We set out this year to align our success in business with supporting amateur sportspeople like Megan in the first of our sponsorship opportunities. Believing that there are synergies between business, teamwork, and the power of sport, Megan is a great example of hard work and teeing up has given us a great insight into elite sports as well as gaining Megan’s support in xburo’s annual golf event.”
The annual xburo golf day was celebrated in August and has become a hotly anticipated event. Megan played in a four ball with clients and colleagues where she was on hand to lend her expertise as well as answering a lively Q&A session to wrap up the day.
Throughout last year, xburo supported a number of sporting clubs including Cambuslang Rugby Club and Glasgow Kelvinside Rugby Football Club (GHK RFC), Kirkliston Football Club, the Boyle School of Irish Dancing, as well as supporting city-wide events through sponsorship and attendance of key events and charity sponsorship. We look forward to continuing to reach out to individuals and organisations to lend our support and our reach as we expand and grow.
Watch this space for new opportunities and announcements for 2023!
- Directors speak to GCU and university studentsThomas Brady and Michael Gribben speak to Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) as former students about lessons learned and their recent success Alumnus of Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) Thomas Brady and Michael Gribben spoke to the university and its students about xburo and their early careers. The pair shared some insights into what it meant to… Continue reading Directors speak to GCU and university students
- Designs progress near Edinburgh’s A-listed historic Gogar CastleIn The News: Architects, Block Nine Architects, are to progress its technical designs for a new high-end contemporary two-storey dwelling near Edinburgh’s A-listed historic Gogar Castle.
- Scottish Building Standards to come into forceProposed changes to Building Standards: xburo briefing available The Scottish Government has published proposed changes to the Scottish Building Standards that will come into force on the 1st of April 2024. With heating and powering buildings currently accounting for 40% of the UK’s total energy usage – a figure that must be significantly reduced to… Continue reading Scottish Building Standards to come into force
- We are the Best Small UK ConsultancyXburo is named Best Small UK Consultancy at the Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE) xburo has won the Best Small UK Consultancy at the Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE). Winner of the Best UK Consultancy, xburo received the coveted accolade at an award ceremony held at the Leonardo Royal London Tower Bridge Hotel which… Continue reading We are the Best Small UK Consultancy
- Ocean Terminal regenerationApproval for Ocean Terminal regeneration project unanimous 2024 is off to a flying start with the approval of the regeneration of Ocean Terminal. This week, Edinburgh City Council gave unanimous approval of this major redevelopment of Ocean Terminal at Leith Waterfront. Plans are to develop a sustainable new neighbourhood on Leith’s waterfront with the provision of… Continue reading Ocean Terminal regeneration