Plans to scale up in 2024 as business strengthens
In 2023, we entered our 5th successful year, building on our company’s growth.
Our team will have a well- earned rest as the office will close from Friday 22nd to Monday 8th of January in recognition of all their outstanding work, and to say thank you we are giving them a few extra days holidays. Tom and Michael however, will still be available. As we reflect on the year past and celebrate our achievements, looking back, it wasn’t just engineering:
Here’s just some of what we got up to:
Director Sarah Peterson joined to head up our sustainability-arm and Edinburgh office and to strategically drive energy and sustainability for clients on the journey to net zero;
Scaled up as we continued to win new business and service clients with our expanding and developing team – welcoming new team members Jack, Kehinde, Maxmore, Liam, Josh and Joe – with some new recruits starting in 2024;
We grew our business to deliver £500million plus+ in transactional and construction values – scaling up our offices in Edinburgh, Glasgow and London;
Supported @Glasgow Caledonian University at the annual Celebration of The School of Computing, Engineering and Built Environment with sponsorship of the best level 3 student Craig Minto. This was xburo’s first move into university sponsorship and it was great to be a part of this as we look forward to continuing this partnership and sponsorship of our next student;
Expanded our sponsored programme by adding amateur golfer and Clydeview Academy pupil Jayla Kepler to our pool of talented sportspeople. Jayla joined Megan Docherty, who was our first sponsored golfer with a three-year deal. Megan continued to excel in America, relocating to Rollins College in Florida. We also supported community youth football.
On the home front, we witnessed Scotland retain the Calcutta Cup with a victorious win at Rugby HQ against England in the Six Nations;
Rebranded xburo with a new look and refreshed website to highlight our project work – thanks to the talents of our designers and marketeers;
Held our annual golf event – an event like no other – at Turnberry, producing a sequel blockbuster on the back of a wonderful day of golf. Making the final cut were Kenny Campbell and his socks, Mat Beckett, who played like a bandit and Chris Richardson, our first place winners. Nearest the pin and not too camera shy was Kenneth Wright, longest drive went to Kenny Campbell and unfortunately it wasn’t Stephen Rudd’s day, but there is always next year.
Antony got married and babies were made, Ian naming his son after his favourite boss – Thomas Brady;
We have some massive refurbishment projects starting in the New Year – at Coulport, we will be undertaking sustainable infrastructure and general refurbishment works as well as a massive win for NHS in the centre of Scotland.
Finally, we finished off the year with not just one but two nominations ahead of 2024.
xburo was shortlisted for best small UK Consultancy at The Association of Consultancy and Engineering Awards (ACE);
Nominated for the Best UK Consultancy of the Year at the CIBSE Building Performance Awards 2024.
Our year was so busy that our five year drinks will now be our 5 and a half year drinks in Spring. As we enter our 6th year of xburo, we look back on our achievements, our lessons learned and our ambitions.
In 2024 we will continue to scale up to deliver our expertise. Thanks to everyone who has been on the journey with us and to those who have worked with us, past and present, and to our clients who rely on our expertise to deliver their projects.
To all our clients, friends and followers, we wish you a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
- Directors speak to GCU and university studentsThomas Brady and Michael Gribben speak to Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) as former students about lessons learned and their recent success Alumnus of Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) Thomas Brady and Michael Gribben spoke to the university and its students about xburo and their early careers. The pair shared some insights into what it meant to… Continue reading Directors speak to GCU and university students
- Designs progress near Edinburgh’s A-listed historic Gogar CastleIn The News: Architects, Block Nine Architects, are to progress its technical designs for a new high-end contemporary two-storey dwelling near Edinburgh’s A-listed historic Gogar Castle.
- Scottish Building Standards to come into forceProposed changes to Building Standards: xburo briefing available The Scottish Government has published proposed changes to the Scottish Building Standards that will come into force on the 1st of April 2024. With heating and powering buildings currently accounting for 40% of the UK’s total energy usage – a figure that must be significantly reduced to… Continue reading Scottish Building Standards to come into force
- We are the Best Small UK ConsultancyXburo is named Best Small UK Consultancy at the Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE) xburo has won the Best Small UK Consultancy at the Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE). Winner of the Best UK Consultancy, xburo received the coveted accolade at an award ceremony held at the Leonardo Royal London Tower Bridge Hotel which… Continue reading We are the Best Small UK Consultancy
- Ocean Terminal regenerationApproval for Ocean Terminal regeneration project unanimous 2024 is off to a flying start with the approval of the regeneration of Ocean Terminal. This week, Edinburgh City Council gave unanimous approval of this major redevelopment of Ocean Terminal at Leith Waterfront. Plans are to develop a sustainable new neighbourhood on Leith’s waterfront with the provision of… Continue reading Ocean Terminal regeneration